Saturday, June 21, 2014

Thai Farm Cooking class

Per another wonderful Katie recommendation, I did a Thai cooking class at an organic farm outside Chiang Mai. We started the day getting picked up by a red truck and taken to a market to get some ingredients (rice and sauces, veggies were from the farm!). Then we headed to the farm!

It was beautiful.  We took a little tour sampling all sorts of things including galangal (a ginger root), lemongrass, sweet basil, pea eggplant (eggplant that looks like a pea!) , green mango...and so much more!

Then we prepared our first dish. I made cocunut milk soup and it was amazing. Next up was our curry, we could choose: red, green, or yellow.  I made green, but only used 4 green chilies ("tourist hot" according to our teacher, Thai hot uses 10!). Next up was a stir fry to balance the curry. I made tofu with cashews. It. Was. Amazing. We also had Som Tam (papaya salad), which was super refreshing. 

We took a little break before making our last two dishes. Dessert! I had mango sticky rice. I'm very happy to say it had the fewest ingredients and should be very simple to recreate back home :)

Lastly,  I made pad thai, to go! There was no chance I'd eat anymore.

Next up: Aly from my program arrived! It's so nice to have a friend.  I'll share more on that soon!

No comments: