Friday, June 20, 2014

Rock Climbing and Zip Lining!

Well I spent Wednesday at Crazy Horse Butteess rock climbing and repelling (70 meters down!), and Thursday zip lining my way through the rain forest (which supposedly isn't too disruptive to the things that actually belong there...).

Rock climbing was wonderful. We had two fantastic guides: Gee and Ooan. We did a few different routes (5.9s). It felt great to be back on the rock and the limestone left me far less wounded than New Mexico's sandstone ever did! I definitely need to start rock climbing in the States again! The repel down was incredible as we plunged into a gigantic cave. The walls looked almost frozen over, though they were limestone too, once fully submerged in water now little water or sunlight touch down.

Zip lining was SO FUN. I can't even believe how great it was. Our guide,  Clash, was enthusiastic,  silly, informative and just totally fun. The longest line we did was 800 meters, though it literally flew by! We repelled down 80 meters (shown in one of the photos). One of the lines was superman style-clipped to our back! It felt like just jumping into the air (chicken jump through back for my GBN high adventure PE class buddies). The rain forest,  not surprisingly,  was just gorgeous.  I think that may have been the best part: the never ending beauty. Completely lush, crisp feeling and full of vibrancy and life. We had the opportunity to see some gibbons, I was hoping to see some birds, but they stayed out of sight (provided lovely music though! ).

After zip lining we had lunch at this beautiful restaurant in the jungle.  The food was, of course,  delicious.  After lunch we went to a waterfall and hiked up to the top. The drive back to the city was beautiful too. We passed every type of home/structure: straw huts, resorts,  wooden homes, a couple temples, a junk yard, a cemetery,  a couple markets (they reminded me of New Mexico,  much of the hour drive did actually, many loved, worn homes with a couple fancy new buildings scattered here and there).

Wounderful, wonderful,  wonderful!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Soooooooooo cool, Julia! I'm glad your zip lining guide wasn't named Crash. I mis-read it at first! HA!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia!
What an amazing adventure you're having alreadty!
I love reading about it, tho green with envy. The peacocks are my favorites-
Sending love, jamie

Miriam said...

This looks amazing!!!