Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Top 5 Lessons From a Foreign Land



I've been back in the States for a week now. It's hard to believe my entire trip is behind me. At the same time, however, I know it will always be with me. 6 weeks felt like 6 minutes and 6 decades all at one time. As I've mentioned in previous posts, putting words to an experience like this is far beyond my communicative capabilities. I am however, able to summarize a bit of what I've learned, and how I  am carrying it with me. These lessons may not sound eloquent or profound, but they are my Truth in  this.   present.   moment
namaste.


Lesson 5: It doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter: adj. 
1. Describes an attitude that recognizes most concerns, conflicts and thoughts in life are simply insignificant. 
2. An approach to life that understands beyond truth seeking, inner contentment and self-awareness, nothing really matters.
3. An awareness that negative thoughts are meaningless and insignificant. 

For example: What color shirt should I wear today? It doesn't matter. What did that person whisper as I was walking away? It doesn't matter. I forgot to finish grading that assignment last night. It doesn't matter [you'll get it done eventually]. Focus on what matters. Focus on here. Focus on now.



Throughout our training many of us asked small, specific questions of our teachers. I learned during this time, however, that most of my questions didn't really need to be asked. If I didn't know the answer on my own, I would soon. We can spend our lives obsessing about anything and everything. We can strive to make everything "perfect" and drive ourselves completely mad. But the truly crazy thing is, it's all already perfect. Just by being in existence, it is in perfection. We simply need to see it as such. Should my palm face forward or to the side? What should I do if I skipped a pose on one side? I can't decide where to go for dinner. I said the wrong thing in front of my boss. I spilled on the carpet.
            
           It.  
             Doesn't. 
                     Matter. 

Lesson 4: Notice, observe. Move on, let go.

Notice, observe. Move on, let go: verb.
1: The act of recognizing what's happening and then letting it go.
2: Being aware of how you feel, but not getting stuck in the emotion.
3: Acknowledging your emotions and then releasing them.

For example: My friend started to complain, I recognized I was annoyed and let it go.
My student started to yell. I recognized I was frustrated, took a breath, and released it.

As people, we are constantly riddled with emotion. While it seems the emotions are caused by external forces, they are really coming from within. Experiencing these emotions is not a bad thing, but to disguise, deny or exaggerate the emotions is to do a disservice to our true nature and our inner peace. Observe your thoughts, feelings, behaviors. Notice without judgment. With this heightened awareness we can then move on. Rather than suppressing our emotions as a coping mechanism, we see them head on. We notice and observe. Then we can let them go and move on to the next present moment.

Lesson 3: Just be.

Just be: noun. state of existence.
1. The state of existing without analysis, judgment, desire or concern.
2. Allowing yourself to exist in your purest, truest form.
3. Staying true to your heart.
4. Finding truth through stillness and silence to maintain a peaceful state of ever present awareness.
5. Being with the Self is being with the Universe because everything is one.

For example: "You don't need to do anything, just allow yourself to be as you are."

Let go of to-do lists, worries, expectations and allow yourself to simply be. Everything we need, we are. The "secret" to happiness lies within. A lot of what we talked about in our philosophy class was paradoxical and super esoteric. In our first session I experienced a lot of confusion and doubt. As time went on, however, it began to make much more sense. The idea that not only are we all interconnected, but we are all one started to really resonate with me, as well as the idea that we're all perfect. Yes, people make harmful choices, but within each person is the capacity to do nothing but Good. People who cause more harm to others have simply not looked within themselves deeply enough to see their true nature. The less we allow outside forces to influence our inner beings, the more we find inner peace, love and joy. Existing in truth within ourselves is the best thing we can do for ourselves and those around us.

Lesson 2: Meditate.

meditate: verb.
1. Keeping the spine long, releasing the body and mind while keeping both still to allow energy and wisdom to flow through the inner Self.
2. Sitting in silence and stillness releasing thoughts, worries, plans and fantasies.
3. Deeply contemplating one single topic.
4. Drawing awareness to the breath, finding an inner stillness of the body and mind.

For example: I meditate every morning to help me stay calm and content all day long.


I will start everyday of my life with silent meditation. Some days it may only be a few minutes, other days it will push to an hour. There is something incredibly grounding and comforting to beginning the day with silence and stillness. This recharge of the body and mind allows me to feel ready for whatever the day may bring and to embrace it with a smile and a positive attitude. If I could give one piece of advice to others it would be to meditate. There are hundreds of definitions and approaches to meditation. Find what works for you. In my experience, if you're silent and still, nothing else really matters.

If you're thinking, "Meditation is hard," I agree! Thoughts will come up again and again, for that I say see lesson 4. Notice your thought (without judgment) and then let it go. It may be helpful to visualize the thoughts floating away on a cloud or a balloon. We spent a great majority of our time this summer meditating, and for that (and so much more) I am eternally grateful. Some days were easier than others. It took a good three weeks of consistent, challenging practice before I started to enjoy it. Now I love it. The best time of day for me to meditate is early morning. It sets me up for success for the rest of the day.

Lesson 1: Pure, Unconditional Love

Pure, unconditional love: noun.
1. A state in which the entire body is consumed with a feeling of appreciation, lightness and care for everything that exists. This feeling leads the edges of the mouth to curl upwards repeatedly and the space behind the upper ribs to feel lifted, open and light as though it too were smiling.
2. The belief that everything and everyone is Good and deserving of your compassion, kindness and care.
3. Continual kindness, compassion and patience for all regardless of what has come before or what is happening now.
Lily & I hugging after our closing fire ceremony

Lily (my teacher) is the total embodiment of pure, unconditional love. I cannot think of her without a smile crossing my face and lifting my heart. I've never known a human being to be so completely full of love. Every moment with her was an inspiration and a reminder to fill my own being with love, kindness and compassion for all, no matter what. There is no way to express the true authenticity of her pure love for everyone and everything. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced.

I find it all too easy to lose love in the midst of all the pain and suffering our world faces. It's easy to find hate for all the misguided and harmful forces in our world, but it is only through love that we can truly have any positive impact. By embodying pure, unconditional love, Lily inspired me to be more kind, compassionate and patient, spreading that love one Soul at a time.










You may find it odd that Unconditional Love is my number one lesson. You may think I was already very full of love (you're right!) or that it seems too obvious. But the concept took on an entirely new dimension during my course. The positive power of pure, unconditional love became so much more clear. The necessity to love everything and everyone filled me with a new found sense of urgency. It's not easy. I'm certainly not there, but I'm working on it, and I know the capacity to feel pure love for all is within my Soul. When I practice yoga nidra my sankalpa is always: "I am judgment free and full of love." This is what I'm working towards everyday.  The quotes above have been two of my favorites for a while, but have an even deeper meaning to me now. I think the Beatles were right, Love is all we need.




No comments: