Saturday, July 12, 2014

The perfect day off

I got up this morning and started crafting my previous blog post. I did some reading, spent some time meditating in my hammock as the sun rose and then headed to my favorite restaurant for breakfast.  After a delightful coffee shake and fresh fruit and yogurt I headed to the internet cafe to step back into my "real life" and connect with my family.  Despite the frustratingly poor connection, it was wonderful to hear the voices of those so far away (especially little Ashlyn's cry giggle squeak! ).

I headed to a fantastic thai massage to give my body some much needed, more passive attention.  The $10 was well worth the hour! !!  Then I sat on the beach chatting with friends and absorbing some sun (over my sun screened skin of course! ). We took an ocean dip, snapped a group photo (to come...) and then were suddenly overtaken by a beautifully powerful rainstorm.  Looking behind you could see the rain coming down the jungle mountain, moving quickly toward the ocean. I walked back to"my" end of the beach to get a hot water, lemon and honey to take to my hammock. With kitty sheltering in my bungalow,  I read some more, did some contemplating and some people watching till my friends Aly and Kris came to join.

After the storm had passed we headed to our studio (on our day off...are you surprised? ), to practice a bit before practice teaching officially begins tomorrow. My sweet friend Fran, a primary school teacher in Australia, suggested talking things out in a smaller group and it was great to do. One challenge I'm anticipating is finding my yoga teacher voice, separate from my I'm-talking-to-9-years-olds-in-a-classroom voice. Then we headed back to bamboo for a delightful dinner with more friends, including Sarah, the other school teacher in the training! After lively, extended conversations spanning all sorts of topics (religion, politics, Jon Stewart, education, teaching, boys, kittens, mangoes...it goes on), I headed back to my bungalow just before the Saturday night party got underway.

The perfect day. Balanced by sun and rain, activity and passivity, solitude and company, silence and sound.

No comments: